[dpdk-dev] Generating Debug information in Windows using Clang (PDB files)

Menon, Ranjit ranjit.menon at intel.com
Mon May 20 20:02:22 CEST 2019

Adham...
I don't think we debugged using clang compiled code for Hello world - mainly because it was only a "helloworld" application and we didn't quite need any debugging!:-)

I found this link: http://blog.llvm.org/2017/08/llvm-on-windows-now-supports-pdb-debug.html
...which says to use the following:
 Here are two simple ways to test out this new functionality:

  1.  Have clang-cl invoke lld automatically
     clang-cl -fuse-ld=lld -Z7 -MTd hello.cpp

  1.  Invoke clang-cl and lld separately.
clang-cl -c -Z7 -MTd -o hello.obj hello.cpp
lld-link -debug hello.obj
Can you try it with just the -Z7 option?

I'm also adding some persons from Microsoft to this thread, hoping they can help...

+Harini +Omar +Jeffrey

ranjit m.