[dpdk-dev] DPDK Release Status Meeting 3/12/2020

Ferruh Yigit ferruh.yigit at intel.com
Mon Dec 7 14:59:25 CET 2020

On 12/7/2020 1:03 PM, oulijun wrote:

> 在 2020/12/7 20:31, Ferruh Yigit 写道:
>> On 12/7/2020 11:54 AM, oulijun wrote:
>>>

>>> 在 2020/12/3 19:51, Ferruh Yigit 写道:

>>> Hi, Ferruh Yigit
>>>    We plan to send the roadmap, but we're not sure what it requires? Is it
>>> per vendor or per PMD vendor? What should he contain?
>>>

>> There is no strict formatting for it, the intention is to document the work
>> planned for the coming release, it is sent per vendor mostly. Following are
>> the past a few ones you can check as samples:
>>
>> arm:
>> http://inbox.dpdk.org/dev/DBAPR08MB58147BA5F6A1D90B702592C498240@DBAPR08MB5814.eurprd08.prod.outlook.com/
>>
>> broadcom:
>> http://inbox.dpdk.org/dev/CACZ4nhvDnB49YK_4SMH=BDAoRntgXxyW4kjpcpdqwHuGpwwOGg@mail.gmail.com/
>>
>> nvidia:
>> http://inbox.dpdk.org/dev/DM5PR12MB2406E0A8CC7C6E884B770B02CD560@DM5PR12MB2406.namprd12.prod.outlook.com/
>>
>> marvell:
>> http://inbox.dpdk.org/dev/BYAPR18MB2424F954434930AEF34CBD0AC8590@BYAPR18MB2424.namprd18.prod.outlook.com/
>>
>> intel: http://inbox.dpdk.org/dev/20200612135804.3781756-1-ferruh.yigit@intel.com/
>>

> Hi,
>    Firstly, thank you for your response. As a new PMD developer and maintainer,
> I am  probably understand.
>    In addition, I would like to know that if we do not develop and push our
> features in a timely manner according to the roadmap, this will not affect you
> and others, or we develop and push redundant features in the roadmap.

The note at the beginning of the roadmap page is to answer this :)
https://core.dpdk.org/roadmap/

"This is not a commitment but plan of work."

The roadmap is to announce tasks under development, so enables interested
parties to collaborate.
Also helps to roughly seize the size of the release and workload, to help planning.

So not able to develop an announced feature is not a problem, but in other way
around to not announce a feature in the roadmap but try to upstream it may cause
that feature get less priority.