[dpdk-users] How to distribute socket_id from logical cores?

Nutman, Richard Richard.Nutman at grassvalley.com
Fri Nov 2 12:08:07 CET 2018

Hi Sungho,

Socket refers to the physical chip socket, not the core number.

It sounds like you have a dual socket machine there with 8 logical cores on each chip.
So what you have is;
Logical cores 0 to 7 is socket 0, also NUMA 0.
Logical cores 8 to 15 is socket 1, also NUMA 1.

Using the socket number for memory allocation just makes sure you are using local memory, i.e. the right numa node, for that cpu socket.

-Richard.

DISCLAIMER:
Privileged and/or Confidential information may be contained in this message. If you are not the addressee of this message, you may not copy, use or deliver this message to anyone. In such event, you should destroy the message and kindly notify the sender by reply e-mail. It is understood that opinions or conclusions that do not relate to the official business of the company are neither given nor endorsed by the company. Thank You.